There are trends and there are themes. The big themes we’ve been seeing for quite some time are clean lines, simple looks, and highly functional spaces. These apply to every aspect of our home makeover projects.
So within those general themes, what are the trends you can expect in 2016 for Dallas kitchen and bath home makeover projects?
Here are my three big trends for kitchens:
- White and Neutral Colors
- The 2016 “color of the year” from all major paint companies focuses on neutral. Benjamin Moore has selected “simply white.” Behr says “ivory keys.” Sherwin Williams has chosen “alabaster.” Glidden is going with “cappuccino white.” You can see them at Color of the Year: Off-White Is on Trend for 2016 by Houzz. I can definitely attest to that with all the white cabinets alone that my team has installed over the past couple of years.
- Professional Grade Appliances
- We expect even more professional grade stoves, ovens, and refrigerators to be installed in our makeover kitchens. Appliance color trends are moving toward grays, blacks, and slates that contrast nicely with the neutral colors noted above.
- Horizontal Cabinets
- Horizontal cabinets are becoming a big part of the layout for kitchen cabinets. They allow easier access and provide a cleaner look. In addition, people are adding “smart cabinets” to store laptops and tablets along with cords and recharging outlets, as well as special holders so that you can follow a recipe directly from your phone or tablet. I like the article 7 Kitchen Cabinet Trends to Watch in 2016.
If those aren’t enough, you can find even more kitchen trends at Kitchen Confidential: 9 Trends to Watch for in 2016.
Here are my big three trends for baths:
- Soaking Tubs and Large Showers
- This is a growing trend that we expect to continue throughout 2016. The variety and designs for freestanding soaking tubs are expanding and the large showers allow you to truly create a spa setting within your home.
- Modern Wall Tiles
- Large format tiles are quite popular right now. These come in different sheen, textures, and patterns that allow us to create a truly unique space. Even the typical subway tiles are getting an upgrade with more intersting and unique finishes.
- Black Nickel Fixtures
- I like the look of new metals when used for faucets and shower hardware. These include black nickel, oil-rubbed bronze, brushed nickel, and warm colored copper. Try 2016 Bathroom Remodeling Trends for more thoughts along these lines.
If those are still not enough trends for you, I recommend 20 Hot Bathroom Trends for 2016. It will get you thinking about what to incorporate in your makeover project.